Alpha Leadership Program
Coogee Boys' Preparatory School (Coogee Prep) has developed a Leadership Program especially for Primary boys. The program commences in Year Four and expands in Years Five and Six.
The objective of the Alpha Leadership Program (ALP) is to teach each boy the leadership skills required to build confidence and responsibility. The ALP supports the School motto of ‘Gentleman, Scholar, Sportsman’ and goes to the very heart of what it is to be a Coogee Prep boy.
Coogee Prep believes developing leadership skills provide an important grounding for primary boys and the types of skills the program aims to develop are:
- Having strength of character
- Understanding humility, honesty, tolerance and respect for others
- Having the courage to make bold decisions at times rather than always playing it safe
- Being capable of listening and learning from others
- Being considerate and helpful toward others
- Having the ability to communicate ideas confidently
- Knowing how to set goals and develop a plan to achieve them
- Resilience and persistence
The program is designed to enhance the boys’ awareness of the community around them, encourage responsibility and build confidence and communication skills. This is achieved through a number of activities including:
- Promoting senior leadership roles and a buddy system with the younger boys
- Hosting inspirational speakers and discussion groups
- Individual research projects and class discussions
- Public speaking training and debating
- Contributions to the school newsletter
- Student-run assemblies
- Participation in community events
- Attending an external student leadership conference
Keeping a journal is a key component of the program. This is where the boys can document their thoughts, experiences and achievements throughout the various leadership activities. This may be in written form, drawing or attaching certificates. This journal will then become a record of their leadership achievements throughout primary school and is something they can keep and be proud of.